Creative Europe - MEDIA, call for the distribution of films
The call for for the distribution of non-national films is now open.
The Europan Commission published the new call for the transnational distribution of European films.
Applicants must be European cinema/theatrical distribution companies.
Applicants must be established in one of the countries participating in the MEDIA Sub-programme and owned directly or by majority participation, by nationals from such countries. The following countries are eligible as long as all conditions referred to in Article 8 of the Regulation establishing the Creative Europe Programme are met and the Commission has entered into negotiation with the country:
- EU Member States and overseas countries and territories which are eligible to participate in the Programme pursuant to Article 58 of Council Decision 2001/822/EC;
- Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates benefiting from a pre-accession strategy, in accordance with the general principles and general terms and conditions for the participation of those countries in Union programmes established in the respective Framework Agreements, Association Council Decisions or similar agreements;
- EFTA countries which are members of the EEA, in accordance with the provisions of the EEA Agreement;
- The Swiss Confederation, on the basis of a bilateral agreement to be concluded with that country;
- Countries covered by the European Neighbourhood Policy in accordance with the procedures established with those countries following the framework agreements providing for their participation in Union programmes.
The Programme shall also be open for bilateral or multilateral cooperation actions targeted at selected countries or regions on the basis of additional appropriations paid by, and specific arrangements to be agreed upon with, those countries or regions.
The activities to be funded are campaigns for the distribution of eligible non-national European films, submitted as part of an eligible grouping of minimum 7 eligible distributors coordinated by the sales agent of the film. The film must have been majority produced by a producer/producers established in countries participating in the MEDIA sub-programme and made with a significant participation by professionals from those countries. The film must be a recent work of fiction, animation or documentary of more than 60 minutes long and from a different country than the country of distribution.
The film must not consist in alternative content (operas, concerts, performances, etc.) or advertising. Films from Germany, France, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom must have a production budget of maximum 10 million of euros. For the film to be eligible its first copyright must not have been established before 2015.
The theatrical release of the film (not including previews or special screenings) shall take place in the territories concerned at the earliest on the same day as the date of submission and within 18 months after the relevant deadline for submission.
The deadlines for sending applications are 5/12/2017 and 14/06/2018. Proposals must be received before 12.00 noon (midday Brussels time) on the relevant deadline, using the online application form (eForm).
> ERC – Work Programme 2016 for research of excellence